What should I do if my pet has been stung by an insect? (bee, wasp, ant)
Most pets are NOT allergic to insect stings, so the sting can be treated with a cold pack. Bee stings should be checked for a retained stinger. Some pets are allergic to insect stings, and can get into serious trouble from a sting. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include prominent swelling at the sting site, swollen muzzle and eyelids, lumpy-looking hair coat from hives, pale gums, drooling, and wheezing. Any such symptoms means your pet should be seen by one of the staff doctors of Windmill Animal Hospital immediately. If this happens when Windmill Animal Hospital is closed, you need to transport your pet to the Abilene Animal Emergency Hospital on Ridgemont, across the street from Lowes.