Recheck examinations are almost as important as the original exam. The recheck exam, and second interview with you, are how the doctors at Windmill Animal Hospital determine if the prescribed treatment plan is delivering the desired results, or if adjustments need to be made.
Your pet's recheck physical examination includes:
· checking all vital signs
· examining the teeth/eyes/ears
· listening to the heart & lungs
· palpating the abdomen for any abnormalities
· searching for lumps, bumps, enlarged lymph nodes
· checking the skin and haircoat
· evaluating the pet for gait abnormalities and arthritis
...and then comparing the findings with the original physical examination's findings. Commonly, follow-up diagnostic tests will be needed, such a repeat urinalysis in case of a urinary tract infection, or a repeat ear cytology with otitis, to verify that the problem is resolving satisfactorily.
Another equally important part of your pet's recheck examination is the interview with you, his owner. You know your pet better than anyone else, so you are the best source of information for his usual daily habits:
· is eating, drinking, urinating, defecating returning to normal?
· is he playing with his toys yet?
· Has the odor (from ears/mouth/skin/anal glands) reduced or gone away?
· Has his housetraining returned?
· Is he wanting or able to go up the stairs/jump on the bed/jump in the car now?
Our owner questionnaire has many more questions similar to the above list. Armed with this information, plus the information from the recheck physical exam, the doctors of Windmill Animal Hospital can stay on top of health problems in your pet, and make sure the treatment plan selected is delivering a satisfactory response, which means a longer, more comfortable life for your pet, more peace of mind for you, and lower veterinary bills!